About Whidbey Island
Whidbey Island is so large that it is home to several cultures. The Whidbey Island Naval Air Station is located on the north end, and the city of Oak Harbor serves the pilots, support personnel, and families that are stationed there. The historical town of Coupeville lies in the central part of the island. The second oldest town in Washington state, it's surrounded by family farms and is located in the Ebey’s Landing National Historical preserve. The south end of the island is an artist’s community. In fact, it’s been said that you can’t throw a rock on South Whidbey without hitting an artist or writer. The Writer’s Refuge is located in this area.
This map shows the location of Whidbey Island.
In the following sections, you’ll find listings of places and events that will nourish you body and soul during your stay.
- Earth Sanctuary a 72-acre nature reserve with sacred spaces such as labyrinths, the tallest stone circle in the world, a dolmen, cairns, and other attractions. Admission is $7.
- The Putney Woods 600 acres of trails through forest once owned by the Department of Natural Resources. Be sure to print out a trail map before you go—there are so many trails that it’s easy to get lost.
- Double Bluff Beach where locals skimboard, take the kids to the beach, or walk their dogs at the off-leash park.
- South Whidbey State Park a 347-acre park with absolutely spectacular views of the Olympic mountains.
- Merkeek Rhododendron Gardens ten acres of display and educational gardens bordered by 43 acres of woodland preserve. There are 4-5 miles of nature trails. Admission is $5.
- Fort Casey State Park part of the “triangle of fire” that once guarded the entrance to the Puget Sound. The Admiralty Head Lighthouse is open seasonally.
- Fort Ebey State Park defended the coast during World War II. Features saltwater beaches as well as a freshwater lake.
- Deception Pass State Park at the very north end of the island, where a bridge connects Whidbey to Fidalgo Island, which is connected to the mainland by a bridge.
- Ebey’s Landing National Historical Preserve set aside by Congress to preserve and protect a rural community.
- Whidbey Island Center for the Arts, 565 Camano Avenue, Langley, WA 98260, 360-221-8262
- Whidbey Dance Theatre, 11042 SR 525
Suite 221, Clinton, WA 98236, 360-341-2221
- Whidbey Children’s Theater, 222 Anthes Ave., Suite 102
Langley, WA 98260, 360-221-8707
- The Island County Historical Society Museum, 908 NW Alexander Street, Coupeville, WA 98239
- South Whidbey Historical Society Museum 314 Second St., Langley, WA 98260, 360-221-2101
- Whidbey Working Artists discover more than 50 artists. Once a year, they participate in an open studio tour.
- Whidbey Art Trail a year-round touring trail of artist studios and galleries.
- Whidbey Institute works toward creating harmony between the natural, social, and spiritual worlds on behalf of the common good.
- Skagit Valley College has a large campus in Oak Harbor and a small learning center at Ken’s Korner in Clinton.
There’s always something going on on South Whidbey. For a calendar of events, click here.
- To see the restaurants available in Langley, click here.
Bayview (the area closest to the Foxglove cabin)
- Basil Cafe (Pan Asian Grill and Noodle Soup House), 5603 Bayview Road, Langley, 98260, 360-321-7898
- Neil’s Clover Patch Cafe, 14485 SR 525 (in the Bayview Shopping Center), Langley, WA 98260, 360-321-4120
- Taproom @ Bayview Corner 5603 Bayview Rd., Langley, WA 98260, 360-222-2643
- Flowerhouse Cafe, 2780 Marshview Ave. Langley, WA 98260, 360-321-6789
- Orchard Kitchen, 5574 Bayview Road, Langley, Wa 98260, 360.321.1517
- Dairy Queen, 6330 Storkson Dr., Clinton, 98236, 360-341-2464
- El Patron (Mexican) 11042 SR 525 Suite 102, Clinton 98236, 360-341-4101
- Cozy’s Roadhouse, 8872 SR 525, Clinton, 98236, 360-341-2838
- Pickles Deli, 11042 SR 525 Suite 122, Clinton, WA 98236, 360-341-3940
- Whidbey Island Bagel Factory 11042 SR 525 Suite 122, Clinton, WA 98236, 360- 341-4302
- China City, 1804 E. Scott Rd., Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-8899
- Freeland Cafe, 1642 Main St., Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-9945
- Glass Alley Cafe, 5575 Harbor Ave, Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-0343
- Gordon’s on Blueberry Hill, 5438 Woodard Avenue, Freeland, WA 98249,
- Bubba Flame Broiled Burger, 18273 State Route 525, Freeland, WA 98249, 360-907-3733
- Charmers Bistro, 1675 Main St, Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-2123
- Whidbey Pies Cafe, 765 Wonn Road, Greenbank, 98253, 360-678-1288
- South Whidbey Commons Coffeehouse Bookstore, 124 2nd Street, Langley, WA 98260, 360-221-2114
- Useless Bay Coffee Company, 121 Second Street, Langley, WA 98260,
- Mukilteo Coffee Company, 5331 Crawford Rd., Langley, WA 98260,
- WiFire Coffee Bar, 1651 Main Street, Freeland, WA 98249, 360-321-9434
- Timbuktu Java Bar and Cafe, 18205 State Rt 525, Freeland, WA 98249 331-1504
- The Goose Community Grocer 14485 Highway 525 Langley WA 98260, 866.326.6714
- Payless Foods, 1609 Main St., Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-4810
- Star Store, 201 First Street, Langley, WA 98260, 360-221-5222
- Ken’s Korner Red Apple Market, #303 11042 SR 525 , Clinton, WA 98236,
- Clinton Foodmart, 4777 Commercial Street, #C, Clinton, WA 98236,
- Greenbank Cheese Shop, 765 Wonn Road, Barn B#101, Greenbank, WA 98253, 360-222-3474
- Star Store Basics, 199 Second St., Langley, WA 98260, 360-221-2425
- Island Athletic Club, 5522 Freeland Ave., Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-2582
- Island Greens Golf & Driving Range, 3890 French Rd., Clinton, WA 98236,
- Island Pilates Center, 222 Anthes Avenue, Langley, WA 98260,
- Half Moon Yoga, Langley Village, Secons Treet, Langley, WA 98260,
- Sojourn Studios, 5603 Bayview Rd, Langley, WA 98260
- Whidbey Island Kayaking Company, Clinton, WA 98236, 800-233-4319,
- Whidbey Island Yoga, 222 Anthes, Langley, WA 98260, 360-969-2401
- Island Transit Bus transportation is free in the island. You can get picked up anywhere along a route—just hail the bus as you would a cab. 360-678-7771
- Whidbey SeaTac Shuttle, 360-679-4003
- Washington State Ferries 888-808-7977
- Clinton Family Rent-a-Car & Sales, 9000 SR 525, Clinton, WA 98236 360-341-4888
- Cooper Auto Sales & Rentals, 9158 SR 525, Clinton, WA 98236, 360-341-2949
- All Island Express Taxi Service 360-341-8294
- Rite Aid, 1609 E. Main St., Freeland Plaza, Freeland, WA 98249, (360) 331-4700
- Island Drug, 11042 SR 525 Ken’s Korner, Clinton, WA 98236, 360-341-3880
Copy shops & office supplies
- Whidbey Island Printing and Office Supply, 11042 SR 525, Suite 120, Clinton, WA 98236, 360-341-1898
- Sound Business Center (offers FedEx shipping), 18205 SR 525, Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-3132
- All Washed Up Laundromat, 630 2nd St Unit C, Langley, WA 98260,
- Freeland Post Office, 1619 E. Main Street, Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-6500
- Langley Post Office, 115 Second St., Langley, WA 98260, 360-221-4113
- Clinton Post Office, 4801 Deer Lake Rd., Clinton, WA 98236, 360-341-4848
- GHL Enterprises, (authorized FedEx & UPS shipping outlet) 220 2nd St. #101, Langley, WA 98260 360-221-0898
- US Bank, 5560 S. Harbor Ave, Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-5246
- Wells Fargo, 5588 Harbor Avenue, Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-5400
- Whidbey Island Bank
5590 S. Harbor Avenue, Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-5868
- Coastal Community Bank, 1860 Scott Rd Ste A, Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-1345
- Chase, 1561 E Main St., Freeland, WA 98249, 360-331-6141
- US Bank, 202 Anthes Ave., Langley, WA 98260, 360-221-5204
- Whidbey Island Bank, 221 2nd St. Suite 5, Langley, WA 98260, 360-221-0203
- Whidbey Island Bank, 8786 SR 525, Clinton, WA 98236, 360-341-5238
- Wells Fargo, 8970 SR 525, Clinton, WA 98236,
- Whidbey General Hospital, 101 N. Main St., Coupeville, WA 98239, 360-331-2344 or 888-903-2345
- Whidbey General South, 11245 SR 525, Clinton, WA 98236, 360-341-5252
Chambers of commerce
- Langley Chamber of Commerce, 208 Anthes Avenue, Langley, WA 98260, 360-221-6765
- Freeland Chamber of Commerce, 1640 E. Main St., Freeland, WA 98249
- Central Whidbey Chamber of Commerce, 107 South Main Street, Building E, Coupeville, WA 98239 360-678-5434
- Oak Harbor Chamber of Commerce, 32630 SR 20, Oak Harbor, WA 98277,
Bicycle and moped rentals
Half Link Bicycle Shop, 5603 Bayview Road, Suite One, Langley, WA 98260, 360-331-7980
- Whidbey Island Moped, 308 1st St., Langley, WA 98260, 360-221-5152